Monday, May 12, 2008

Another public holiday.....

One great thing about living in Switzerland in the spring time is the number of public holidays (with additional days added on by the company). Today is another one..... Pfingstmontag... whatever that is! I never was that clued up on the religious calendar but I'm guessing it's a pagan festival usurped by the Christians (just like Christmas, Easter and the like).

So the sun is shining again and the valley is peaceful. No lawn-mowers or the like. Strangely there isn't the normal procession of motorbikes today so we are guessing that Germany is working today!

As I was down in Weggis on a training course all week, Fi joined me on Friday evening and we spent Saturday in the mountains. For a change we went to Stoos which is a small village at the top of a very steep (78%) funicular. Although the village was definately between the ski and summer seasons, there was one restaurant open and a magnificent view down to Vierwaldstattersee. We were back home by Saturday evening and spent the evening on the patio eating pasta and drinking wine.

On Sunday I was up early for the local club ride. Fortunately, I decided to check the club run route on the internet to see if I would need my passport or not. Lucky thing too, as there wasn't a club ride (just a family tour today). So I went out on my own and did 82Km with just under 1000m of climbing. I felt suprisingly good on the climbs which, I guess, is down to the amount of weight I've lost. Hopefully that bodes well for my visit to the cardiologist later in the week.

So, it's time for another cuppa, sitting in the sun..... then I think we will cycle down the valley in search of an ice-cream Sunday.... or is that Monday?

No comments: