Saturday, March 21, 2009

Friends

I need to remark on how priveledged I am to have such great friends! Last weekend I was fortunate enough to be able to drive down to Tuscany and meet up with my old East Grinstead CC team mates. Steve B, Steve D, Andy S, Paul B and Brian P were competing in a team time trial at Forte di Marmi, so I thought I would go and watch. They did good, recording 19th out of 170 teams...... I'm sure there will be a report soon on the EGCC web site, so I won't go into further details here.

Despite not participating in the time trial, I managed to get a couple of rides with the lads. On Saturday they were preparing for the race so proved to be a good indicator of my general lack of fitness. I was hanging on Steve D's wheel at around 50KPH and a pulse of 191BPM (don't tell my cardiologist). It was a true through and off manouver..... Steve went through and I went off..... off the back that is! Ouch!

You can tell good friends by the way you can just pick up where you left off with them. It was really just like old times, except that I was the whipping boy! I think they were getting their revenge on the Scratchman. I took another kicking on Monday morning when we all went for a ride in the Tuscan hills behind Lucca. I thought that the boys would be tired after their efforts on Sunday.... nope. First hill and I was shelled out... very quickly. Not to worry, it was fun to be out in a group and I could mainly hold my own on the flat. Just a shame that Brian had a spill on one othe dodgy damp and gritty decents. Fortunately, not too much damage done..... and soon forgotten following a pasta lunch sitting out in the Spring sunshine. Link to route of ride.

Steve and Alex (along with extended Italian family) were, as always very welcoming. How they continue to put up with hosting the British rabble, I just don't know..... Anyway, thanks from me for everything!

Unfortunately, the weekend was over far too quickly and we were saying our good-byes much too soon. A quick (5hr) drive over the Alps via Milano and back into the chilly Swiss night. Brrrrr! When is spring going to arrive here? Roll on my next visit to Tuscany..... I'll be fitter by then.

No comments: