Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cold

For a number of reasons, that are just too sad or personal to mention here, 2009 has already thrown some hard challenges at Fi and me. January was an incredibly tough month, especially after having enjoyed a beautiful and relaxing Christmas in the Dolomites. Shit happens. It just seems that sometimes there is a muck spreader parked outside the front door!

And it's cold. The weather certainly doesn't help the mood at the moment. On the health front, I've had cold after cold this year, culminating in catching flu last week whilst in New York. I returned early and spent two days in bed. Lovely..... at least I had an excuse to get some sleep and I also discovered that when you feel ill you don't notice jet lag. However, I don't recommend long haul flights with the flu, even in business class.

Reviewing my "resolutions" for the year, I am pleased to say that I have made progress on all of them. Since drinking 15 beers in NYC last Saturday night I'm pleased to say that I have now given up alcohol. Not sure how long it will last, but it's good for my weight which is getting progresively lower. I'm trying hard (even if unsuccesfuly) to give up working at the weekends, although, I haven't been up to cycling and I do need something other than the playstation to fill up my time.

I'm definately trying to stay positive. Boy, that's hard at the moment. I'm planning a comeback on the bike this year (again) and have just finished building up an old Treck OCLV that I "found" in the loft. One day, I'll get around to building up the Pinarello Paris I bought two years ago.... but that is going to be expensive (will have to be Campag Record 11 Speed). Fiona and I are going to be spending holidays in England this year, so there is a good chance of doing some races in blighty as I build up to the Gigathlon in July. I have a "race" up Alpe d'Huez planned for August that has €10 resting on it..... and my pride. So if the cold weather and the flu would just go away, I could do with getting on with some training. Please.

I need to remark how useful Facebook has been in getting in contact with a lot of old friends. I've recently rekindled many old friendships and have a long list of people to contact next time I'm in the UK. I caught up with my old cycling buddy Leigh in NYC last weekend (hence the beer). Next time we'll be cycling together again, only 6000Km west of our old stomping grounds of Surrey and Sussex.

So, here's hoping for a brighter and warmer outlook.

1 comment:

Lollo said...

Dear Steve and Fiona,
there is rain, snow, cold and short days for a while. But I know that there will also be sunshine, warmth, health and longer days in the garden (with or without a beer or a glass of red, doesn't matter) again in future! And future is not far way, it starts now, no, now, no, now, anyway, in the now to be!
Wishing you all the strength you need to make it through the cold dark winter that Switzerland and live can be sometime!
Machet's guet!
Lorenz