Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One year ago.....

About this time, one year ago I was sitting on the stairs drinking a cup of tea, having just returned from a bike ride. I never expected that the strange burning sensation in my chest and kneck would have such a profound impact on my life.

Certainly, it's not a good thing to dwell on past events unless you learn from them and use them as a reminder to not slip back to old ways and habbits. As I wrote in my last blog, there have been many positives to the year, however, learning the lesson is not as easy as you would think. Being, by nature, a competitive person, I have found it all too easy to regress back towards my old lifestyle and have started to push the boundaries of what is reasonable for the body and mind to accept. Taking the advice from my doctor in the rehab clinic, I have to change. I owe it to myself and I also owe it to Fiona, my friends, my family and my colleagues who have rallied around me throughout the year and got me back on my feet.

2008 has been all about, recovery, survival and getting back to normal. I can't thank enough my close support network for getting me to where I am today!

2009 has to be a year of change and prioritization of the various aspects of my life. I'm sure that I wrote about that during my time in rehab.... just never followed through on it. Ultimately, the buck stops with me. I have to make the changes that will enable me to repay all those who have shown faith in me over the last 12 months.

Therefore, as a (kind of) resolution to the future, I pledge the following:
  • Learn that I don't always have to be the best (second place is cool too);
  • Realize that there are only so many hours in a day and that you can't do everything;
  • Spend time to enjoy the company of others and have some "me" time too;
  • Live a healthy, tollerant and sustainable life;
  • Identify and limit negative exposure to negative energy sources.
And please tell me if you see me violating this pledge. I'm only human and I need to be reminded from time to time....

I'll finish by wishing all of you a happy, healthy and successful 2009! There will be challenges, for sure, but with the right combination of friends, family and self motivation it's possible to overcome most things.

1 comment:

Jamie Monk said...

Was a wake up call for all of us I think.. by the way, you wrote "strange burning sensation in my chest and kneck".

What is a kneck? Is that a Swiss word?